Coconut rice is a kind of rice made almost entirely from rice and coconut milk. It is soft, milky(both in colour and taste), yummy and loved by both kids and adults.
It’s also one of the least prepared rice recipe in homes across Africa. This is because few persons want to go through the hassle of breaking coconuts. If you can get past this, you will be in for a delicious treat.
To prepare coconut rice, you need:
- cups of local rice. (short grain).
- Coconut. 1 medium sized.
When buying rice, buy those rice that stick together, they make coconut and banga rice taste better. Preparation
- Wash the rice with cool water and place on a bowl.
- Break the coconut and peel off the shell.
- Grate and blend the coconut. Add a lot of water while blending.
- Pour the coconut milk into a sieve to separate the milk from the shaft and pour the milk into a bowl.
- Pour about 1 littre of water on the rice, place on the stove and allow to boil for ten minutes.
- Take the rice off the stove and pour into a drainer. Wash under running water or pour a few cups of water on the rice to wash off the excess starch.
- Divide your coconut milk into two parts.
- Pour the first part of the milk into the pot containing the rice, add salt and set on the stove. Cook on medium heat.
- After 15 minutes, check the rice and add the rest of your coconut milk. stir together and allow to cook for another ten minutes or until the juice start to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Coconut rice needs to be very soft, so if after this time, the rice feels a bit hard,you can add more water.
Your coconut rice is ready !
This rice can be eaten on it’s own but most adults prefer it with a small serving of stew or Pepper sauce. Young children often prefer it without sauce of any kind.
How to make pepper sauce.
- 4 medium sized scotch bonnets.
- 1 large onion.
- 1 small tomato (optional)
I table spoon ground crayfish or more (optional. If you are using only pepper, adding crayfish help beat down the heat).
- Beef. assorted : cow tripe, liver, intestine, if you are using beef stake for this, use the part that is mixed with a bit of fat. It taste great for this recipe.
- 2 cubes of seasoning.
- Wash and Cook the meat with Salt, onion and one seasoning cube.
- Blend the pepper, tomatoes and some onion together to form a paste. Use as little water as possible.
- Cut the remaining onion into thin slices.
You can fry your meat or leave them as they are.
- Place a dry pot on the stove.
- Add some cooking oil. (use little quantity)
- Add your chopped onions and allow to fry until light brown.(stir repeatedly)
- Add your blended pepper and tomatoes. (stir frequently with a wooden spoon) .
- If you are using cryfish, add now.( continue to stir)
- Fry for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the amount of water you used while blending your pepper.
- Add some water( 1 big cooking spoon should do. )
- Add your assorted beef parts.
- Allow to heat up until the water dries out.
- Take off the stove. Your sauce is ready.
How to serve.
Take some coconut rice in a plate and add sauce by the side.