Okra soup is a delicious meal made from grated or sliced okra sticks. It is closely related to ogbono soup in texture, but different in taste. Hearing people say okra soup is their favourite is not uncommon. It’s so easy and quick to prepare.
2 cups grated or chopped okra.
1/3 cup palm oil.
Fluted pumpkin leaves.(Ugwu)
Meat and or fish(dry).
1/4 ground cray fish (optional)
Prawns, dried (optional)
4 small scotch bonnets.
1 tbs ground chilli pepper.
1 medium size onion.(choped)
2 seasoning cubes.
- Grate or cut the okra into small pieces with a knife. To cut with a knife, cut off the tip of the okra, then make vertical lines down the middle and sides, before cutting vertically. This will give you really small pieces of okra.
Wash the fish. If you are using slightly dried fish then you can wash with cool water but if using fish that has been smoked for a long time, then it’s best to wash with hot water.
What happens if I only have fresh fish ?
If you only have Fresh fish, you can fry before using or you can use only meat. Some people prepare okra with fresh fish, personaly, I am not fan.
- Wash and cut your vegetables into tiny pieces.
- Blend the scotch bonnets and onion together and set aside.
- Wash the meat in a pot, add onion, Salt and one cube of seasoning. Stir, cover and set on the stove. Do not add water at this stage. Meat has its own water. Allow to boil for about 10 minutes or when you notice that the water from the meat is getting dry. Add more water and continue cooking until the meat is tender.
- Pour in your grated or sliced okra, stir well and bring to boil.
- Add the palm oil and cover the pot, leave a portion open so the okra does not spill over. Allow to Cook for 10 minutes. for 5 minutes.
- Add your fish, Pepper and onion sauce, chilli, cray fish, prawns and Salt. Set to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add your seasoning cube and vegetables. Cover and allow to boil for 5 more minutes.
Your okra soup is ready. Serve with eba, semo, amala, nshima etc.