How To Prepare Pepper SoupPepper soup is one of Nigerian national dishes and has varieties depending on the region and homes you visit. Some people prepare pepper soup with scent leaves and fresh pepper, others do not.
Pepper soup is one of Nigerian national dishes and has varieties depending on the region and homes you visit. Some people prepare pepper soup with scent leaves and fresh pepper, others do not. Where ever you go though, one thing is sure ,you do not want to miss it ! .
Pepper soup goes well with any meat or fish of your choice(Chicken,beef, fresh or dry fish etc) . It can be taken on it's own on a cold day, enjoyed with a bottle of your favorite chilled drink on a night out with friends, served over a hot plate of white rice or eaten with any swallow of your choice.
Let's take a look at two ways you can prepare goat meat pepper soup.
This is the method of preparing Pepper soup common to the Urhobos of South Southern Nigeria and the one I personally prefer. The others are great too, just a matter of preference.
- 1 medium size grains of Selim.
- 2 medium size calabash nutmeg.
- 1 tbs ground chili pepper.(use more or less)
- 1 very small onion(optional)
- 2 cubes of seasoning.
- 1/4 cup of ground crayfish.
- Goat meat. For the best experience combine the fleshy part with assorted.
- Break open the calabash nutmegs and take out the seeds. Throw away the shell and keep the seeds.
- Open the grains of Selim by lightly crushing it with a pestle or any other hard object and take out the seeds. For this, throw away the seeds and keep the back.
- Crush both the calabash nutmeg (seeds) and grains of selim (back) together until it comes out in powdered form. Some people lightly burn the calabash nutmeg before crushing. I do not and I find it OK. You could try both ways and see which you prefer.
- Wash your goat meat and place in a pot. Add some salt and one cube of seasoning and place on a stove. Cook on high heat until tender.
If you notice I did not mention adding onions while cooking the meat, this is because the taste of onion interfere with that of your spices ( especially the grains of Selim), giving it a funny taste. But if you must add onion while cooking your meat, you can add a little.
- Once your goat meat is ready, add your crushed spices, chilli pepper and ground crayfish. Add more water if needed. Allow to boil for 1o minutes.
- Add your salt and seasoning. Allow to boil for an another 10 minutes or until you get the consistency you desire.
Your goat meat pepper soup is ready.
- 3 calabash nutmegs.
- scent leaves.
- Ground chilli pepper.
- scotch bonnets or fresh hebenaro pepper.
- Goat meat.
- 1/4 crayfish.
- 2 seasoning cubes.
In a blender, blend together your scotch bonnets and onions and set aside.
You can either use chilli pepper or scotch bonnets or both. Choose the quantity you want depending on how hot you want your Pepper soup to be.
Break your calabash nutmegs and remove their seeds. Thereafter crush to powder. Before crushing the seeds you can lightly roast them with fire. It gives your soup a distinct aroma. I do not bother doing this but you might like it.
Wash and cut your scent leaves into small pieces.
Wash and place your meat in a pot, add salt, onions and one seasoning cube and cook until tender.
- To your boiling pot of meat (already tender),
add your crushed calabash nutmeg, Pepper and onion puree, chilli pepper and ground crayfish. Cover and leave to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add your Salt, scent leaves and seasoning cube. Allow to boil for another 10 minutes or until you get your desired consistency.
Your goat meat pepper soup is ready. Enjoy on it's own with a chilled drink, with white rice, yam or with any swallow of your choice.
Hi, welcome to my food blog. These are simple yet delicious recipes I have picked up over the years. I love everyone of them and it's my pleasure to share them with you. See something you like ? Try it out and let me know how it turns out.
Okra soup is a delicious meal made from grated or sliced okra sticks. It is closely related to ogbono soup in texture, but different in taste. Hearing people say okra soup is their favourite is not uncommon. It’s so easy and quick to prepare.
Ogbono Soup is made from dry ogbolo seeds ( African Bush Mango seeds), It has its origin among the Igbos of South-eastern Nigeria.